Saturday, June 2, 2012

Culminating Work Project

One of my inspirations was created by a group of architects who created a "cardboard cloud" that was essentially a floating city made out of cardboard. While my city doesn't float, I liked the idea of using everyday materials such as cardboard to make interesting art. 


For my culminating work sculpture, I decided to use my prior building skills from building minimalist and very geometric sculptures to make a city. Originally, I wanted the city to be chaotic but be surrounded by a very calming perfect box. As the sculpture grew, the city became more minimalist and clean, making the surrounding box essentially useless. I experimented with many materials, and decided to use cardboard, foam boards, and metal in the final project to make the city more realistic with the diversity of materials. I also made the buildings of the city different heights, shapes, and widths to increase the realism. 
I painted the bottom board all black to really contrast with the buildings. I also painted some of the buildings black as well to show that buildings rise up from the ground and become part of the terrain. 
I wanted the different sizes of the building to make it look more like a cityscape, which I think can be displayed fairly well with the picture above. 
 
This art piece, called "cardboard cloud" was one of my inspirations because it showed me that I could use everyday materials to make art. The creators of the piece wanted to make a floating city, and while my city doesn't float, I used the box idea to create a city of my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment